Kuih Kacau Labu
With extra pumpkins in my kitchen, I quickly made some Kuih Kacau Labu to munch on while watching the royal wedding. The Kuih Kacau Labu is almost gone & William has not even arrived Westminster Abbey!
- 1 medium-sized pumpkin, peeled, cut into small sized, boiled & blended together with the water it was boiled in.
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 ½ cups of coconut milk
- 2 pandan leaves, torn & knotted
- 5 large eggs, beaten
- ½ cup plain flour mixed with 1 cup of water
- 1 tsp rose essence
- Pour blended pumpkin into a heavy-based pan (the solid brass pot is ideal).
- Put in the sugar & pandan leaves.
- Pour in the coconut milk. Cook on medium heat.
- After ½ an hour or when the pumpkin custard begins to boil & thickens, pour the beaten eggs slowly into the mixture while stirring it at the same time.
- Pour the flour mixture gently & slowly into the pumpkin custard. Do not stop stirring at this stage.
- Add the rose essence and stir it in.
- When the mixture begins to thicken, shines, does not stick to the side of the pan and is heavy to stir, it should be ready.
- Allow to cool in the pot until it is ready to be served. Decorate with cherries.