Liver in Thick Soy Sauce
I was faced with a large piece of liver from the Hari Raya Haji and spent quite some minutes trying to figure out how to cook it so my kids would appreciate eating it. So, I boiled, sliced, pan-fried and cooked it in soy sauce & some spices for lunch. I'm not sure if my kids will enjoy it, but I must say it tastes surprisingly good and I know Din would!
- 250 gms beef liver, boiled for 20 minutes, then sliced and deep fried
- 1/4 cup of cooking oil
- 1 bulb of medium sized onion, blended
- 3 cloves of garlic, blended
- 1/2 inch of ginger, blended
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 1 star anise
- 4 cloves
- 4 cardamom
- 1/2 cup of thick sweet soya sauce
- 1 tbsp tamarind juice
- 1 tbsp of tomato puree
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp black pepper, ground
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 medium-sized onion cut into thick rings
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Put in the cinnamon stick, star anise, cardamom & cloves.
- Quickly sautee' the blended onion, garlic & ginger until fragrant.
- Place the liver into the pan & cook it briefly with the sauteed ingredients & spices.
- Pour in the soya sauce, tomato sauce & tamarind juice.
- Flavour with salt, pepper & sugar.
- Simmer all the ingredients for about 8 minutes until the flavours are absorbed & gravy thickens.
- Sprinkle with whole black peppercorns if desired.
- Serve with hot rice.