Spicy Tomato Chicken
However young we were and however forgetful we get now. We never seem to be able to forget the wonderful memories we hold dear, especially when it comes to food experiences. I remember how Mum used to cook this Tomato Chicken for us. As our taste buds got accustomed to a spicier version, I realised mum added chilli paste to this dish. So today is the first day of school for my two younger kids, I've prepared the same Spicy Tomato Chicken mum used to make!
- 2 large onions
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 inch of ginger
- 3 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 8 pieces of chicken
- 2 tbsp of chilli paste
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 1 carrot, cubed
- 1 cup of water
- 2 ripe tomatoes, cut into 6 wedges
- 1 large onion, cut into thick rings
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp coarse sugar
- Heat the oil in a pan on high flame. When hot, fry the chicken briefly until the outer skin is crispy.
- Pour the blended ingredients into the pan and sautee together with the chicken.
- Then put in the chilli paste and stir for 1 minute.
- Put in the tomato sauce , carrot and water. Then reduce the flame to medium and allow it to simmer.
- Once the chicken & carrot is cooked through, put in the tomato wedges and onion rings.
- Season with salt, pepper and sugar.
- Once the onions and tomatoes have softened, turn off the flame.
- Serve with hot steamed rice.