Apple & Mango Chutney
Many many decades ago, I was introduced to Chutneys by my father, who loved having chutneys with his Beriani. Especially when we are not in Malaysia. It is very similar to the Malaysian Acar Buah with a lot less spice, resulting in it being milder in taste. Being a Johorean, Beriani is not complete without Acar Buah. So, the only alternative when Acar is unavailable is to have it with chutneys instead! Like my father, I love having it with Beriani. I also love it in my chicken sandwiches, as a dip, as an accompaniment to any bland dishes, as a sauce, and the list is endless. Simple, lovely and it keeps well!
- 2 red apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 large ripe fragrant mango, peeled and sliced
- 2 big cardamoms, crushed
- 3 tbsp vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 level teaspoon of red chili powder
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoon salt
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 slices of ginger, julienne
- 4 teaspoon raisins
- 8 almonds
- Cook apple and mango in water with ginger and garlic till tender or for about 15 minutes.
- Add vinegar, sugar, almond, red chili powder, cardamoms and raisins and cook till it thickens a little.
- Cool and put in a sterilized jar.