Crispy Ikan Bilis Kicap
This is such a simple dish, but the taste is just exquisite. The crispiness of the ikan bilis, the soy sauce coating the ikan bilis lightly and the big dynamite heat of these bird's eyes chillies. All combined makes for perfection! I could have this 4 times a week and still not be bored of it - I'm telling you, it's addictive!
- 1 handful/1 cup of anchovies/ikan bilis, cleaned & deep fried till crispy
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 5 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 3 red chillies, sliced
- 15 birds' eye chillies/cili api, sliced
- 2 tbsp sweet thick soy sauce
- 1 tsp salty soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Sautee the onions & garlic for 1 minute.
- Add both the chillies.
- Pour in both the soy sauces & salt.
- As soon as the sauce bubbles, toss in the anchovies.
- Quickly switch off the flame but continue tossing the anchovies around making sure it's evenly coated.
- Remove from heat & serve.