Rainbow Pancake Stacks
First thing in the morning of 2010, I was greeted by a fireworks flavour in the form of pancakes - courtesy of my daughter Izarra. What a fantastic way to begin a new year. Happy New Year everyone! May your year be as colourful & flavourful as these pancakes are.
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 large egg (Grade A)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp each of 4 different colourings (eg.green, purple, red, orange)
- 1/2 tsp each of 4 different flavourings (eg. banana, pandan, strawberry, orange)
- Put all the dry ingredients into the wet mixture.
- Mix very briefly, just to combine.
- Separate the batter equally into four different containers.
- Drop 1 tsp of colouring (let's say, green) in one bowl & 3 other different colouring (eg purple, red, orange) in the other three bowls separately
- Choose 4 different flavourings (eg banana, pandan, strawberry, orange) and put in 1/2 a tsp of each flavouring into each separate bowl.
- Lightly butter a griddle or an egg pan.
- Drop 2 tablespoons batter of one colour onto the griddle or pour into the egg pan.
- When bubbles begin to appear & the sides brown a little, flip the pancake over with a spatula.
- Continue this same process until all the four different coloured batter is used up.
- Stack the pancakes alternately in the different colours.
- Serve them with any topping of your choice. I like mine with pure honey!