Red Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
I've been wanting to cook Red Velvet Cake for ages. So, it was such a joy to me when I finally did it! I gathered some recipes which I frequently cooked at Cafe Dania, improvised this and that, added this and that, and I got a pretty decent Red Velvet Cake. I am, however, on a constant quest for self-improvement, so I'll definitely share with you if I manage to come up with a better recipe! Enjoy this!
- 2 1/4 cups flour, sifted
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder, sifted
- 1 tsp baking soda, sifted
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp red food colouring
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups cream cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups icing sugar
- Put all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Combine the milk and vinegar.
- Beat butter & sugar till it becomes creamy and well blended.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating in between each addition.
- Beat in the dry ingredients, alternating with the milk mixture in 3 additions, beginning & ending with flour.
- Pour in the vanilla essence and the red colouring and mix well.
- Divide the batter into 2 greased 9" 1 1/2" high round tins.
- Bake in a preheated 180ºC oven for about 35 minutes or until a tester inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack.
- Beat cream cheese and butter in large bowl until smooth.
- Put in the vanilla.
- Add icing sugar and beat until smooth.
- Place 1 cake layer on a platter. Spread half the frosting over the cake.
- Top with the second layer of cake. Spread with the remaining frosting.