Frankly, I love this sambal much more than our regular sambal belacan. Pan frying the ingredients first, in oil and allowing the flavours to develop makes this Sambal Tomato much much richer in taste and the tomatoes somehow make it taste 'fresh'! Pounding it with the pestle & mortar combines all the flavours beautifully! This sambal is best dipped with long beans, deep fried aubergines, fresh julienne cucumbers, deep-fried tofu & tempe. Simply delicious!
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 whole ripe & firm tomato, quartered
- a large handful of birds-eye chillies
- 10 shallots (bawang merah kecil)
- a thumb-sized shrimp paste, roasted
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Fry the shrimp paste, shallots, bird's-eye chillies and tomatoes till all the ingredients become soft & limp.
- Remove from the pan and place everything in a mortar. Pound it gently with a pestle.
- Flavour with salt & sugar. Combine all the flavours.
- Serve in a little bowl and perfect eaten with white rice or dipped with vegetables!