Sardines cooked in Tamarind Sauce (Sardin Masak Asam)
Sardines from the can has always been my saviour! Whenever I'm lazy, sardines cooked in every way possible is the answer. I'll share a little secret with you, when I was a student in Australia cooking for me & me alone, I made Laksa Johore using sardines from tin, and it tasted perfect!
Yesterday, I allowed myself to be lazy again and asked my teenage daughter to take notes on how to cook Sardine Masak Asam. This is the first time she has cooked this dish entirely on her own, without my guidance. The whole family enjoyed it so much; I almost didn't get anything! I'm so happy she's got it in her to get the right taste!
- 1 can of Sardines
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 bulbs of medium sized onions, sliced
- 5 garlic, sliced
- 1 tbsp chilli paste
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste mixed with 1/2 cup water, strain
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tomato, quartered
- 1 large onion, cut into rings
- 8 birds-eye chillies
- 6 belimbing buluh
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Sautee' the onions & garlic briefly.
- Put in the chilli paste & tomato sauce.
- Pour the sardines & tomato gravy as well.
- Pour in the tamarind juice.
- Flavour with salt & sugar.
- Add the tomatoes, birds-eye chillies, onion rings & belimbing buluh.
- Eat straight away with rice, roti canai, bread or cream crackers! Cream Crackers would be my choice! Yummy!