Tok Mak's Fried Bananas
My grandmother used to make the batter for Fried Bananas using very basic, simple ingredients. The main being rice flour, which resulted in a lovely crunchy batter while it is hot. Being a traditionalist at heart and a passion for upholding simplistic recipes using unprocessed ingredients as they did during my grandmother's generation, I share with you my Tok Mak's recipe.
1 bunch pisang nipah
1 cup rice flour
1 pinch slaked lime/kapur
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup water
3 cups of oil for deep frying
- Peel the bananas and slice it in half, lengthways.
- In a large bowl, beat together the rice flour, kapur, salt & water all together till well combined.
- Heat about 3 cups of oil in a pan for deep frying.
- When the oil is hot, dip the bananas quickly into the batter and directly into the oil.
- Do not fry too many bananas at the same time.
- Keep turning the bananas to evenly brown it.
- After approximately 3 minutes or until golden brown, remove from heat and drain on a paper towel.
- Fantastic eaten immediately!