Ayam Goreng Betawi
I had this gorgeous fried chicken with 'lots of tasty serbuk' at a restaurant & tried to figure the recipe out for many months. When I finally got it right, it became my children's craze! I totally love the 'dust' sprinkled on plain white rice & the chicken is so moist but crunchy on the outside. Ayam Goreng from heaven.
- 12 small red onions
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 thumb-sized ginger
- 15 dried chillies, deseeded & soaked in hot water
- 4 stalks lemongrass (serai), sliced
- 1/2 palm-sized galangal (lengkuas)
- 1 thumb-sized turmeric root (kunyit hidup)
- 12 chicken pieces
- 2 tsp salt
- Mix all the ingredients in a heavy pan.
- Cook covered, on low fire for about 10 minutes or until the gravy has thickened.
- Remove from heat. Allow the chicken & thickened gravy to cool and marinate together.
- Heat oil for deep-frying. When the oil is hot, fry the chicken on high fire.
- After the chicken have been removed, fry the thickened gravy in stages.
- Sprinkle the yummy 'dust' all over the chicken. I put the extra 'dust' in a bottle & my kids like to sprinkle it over their rice.