Chicken & Mushroom Quiche
Quiche is an opened-pie with a rich compact filling with basic ingredients of eggs, cream & cheese. You may replace the chicken with tuna, salmon or any ingredient that you desire. The flavours are concentrated in the filling, but at the same time, it gives a very delicate, refined texture. Easy to handle & perfect for picnics, packed lunches or afternoon tea.
- 1 cup plain flour, sifted
- pinch of salt
- 90 g (3 oz) butter
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp cold water
- 1 chicken breast fillet, diced into tiny pieces
- 1/2 cup of chopped onions
- 1/2 can of button mushroom, drained & chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cream
- 3 eggs
- salt, pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp grated cheddar cheese
- Put flour and salt into a bowl.
- Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Mix in egg yolk, lemon juice and 2 tsp of water to a firm dough.
- Turn pastry onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly.
- Leave to rest for 20 minutes.
- Roll pastry to a circle enough to fit a 9-inch flan tin.
- Lift the pastry onto the greased tin and press the pastry into the grooves of the tin with your fingers.
- Blind bake in 180º C oven for 15 minutes.
- Sautee the onions & mushroom in a pan.
- Add chicken breasts and cook till done.
- In a bowl, beat together cream & eggs.
- Add salt, paprika, pepper, parsley, cheese and sauteed chicken. Mix well.
- Pour the egg mixture over the baked pastry.
- Bake in a moderately hot preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- Cut into wedges to serve. Fantastic eaten with salad!