Scotch Eggs is a protein-packed finger food which is perfect for picnics, lunch packs or tea-time food when guests drop by. The boiled egg is surrounded by homemade sausage meat and coated with breadcrumbs. Deep frying retains the moistness to the meat with a crunch on the outer layer. This snack will fill you up & delicious to eat.
- 2 cups of minced beef
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup home made breadcrumbs
- In a large bowl, mix minced beef and all the seasonings until well combined.
- Take about 2 tbsp of the sausage meat & roll it into a ball. Then flatten it like a pattie.
- In the centre of the meat patty, place one boiled egg.
- Close the meat around the egg until the egg is covered completely.
- Coat the meat with flour. Then roll it into the beaten eggs.
- Quickly lift it up & cover completely with the breadcrumbs.
- Dip it gently into hot oil, in a deep pan.
- Deep fry for approximately 6 to 8 minutes, turning it around.
- Drain on a paper towel & leave to cool.
- Cut across the centre of the egg with a jaggered knife just as you are about to serve.
- Wonderful on it's own but also lovely eaten with any sauce of your own choice.