Squid in Tamarind & Squid Ink
This lovely dish tastes perfect when cooked with medium to small sized-squid as you are supposed to pop little portions of sliced squid into your mouth when eating it. The onion, garlic, ginger & lemongrass slices seem to add character to this dish but the squid ink that oozes out as this dish is being cooked is still quite a thrill for me!
- 1 kg small to medium-sized squid,cleaned & sliced, making sure the squid ink is left intact (Wash squid before slicing)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 large red onion, sliced thinly
- 4 garlic, sliced thinly
- 1 thumb size ginger, julienne finely
- 1 thumb sized fresh turmeric root, julienne finely
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 4 fresh red chillies, sliced slanted thinly
- 4 lemongrass, sliced slanted thinly, from root to 2" upwards (discard the leaves)
- 1/2 cup tamarind juice
- 2 tsp salt
- Heat oil in a pan. Sautee' the onions,garlic,ginger,turmeric root, lemongrass & chillies till it becomes limp.
- Add in the turmeric powder.
- Put the squid next. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the tamarind juice.
- Flavour with salt.
- Cook for a further 5 minutes or until the squid ink seeps into the gravy & the sauce turns black. Never overcook squid or it will be rubbery to eat.
- We are done & set to begin eating with plain white rice!