Thick Pizza Base & Simple Pizza Sauce
I have tried several recipes for thick-based pizza, but this one gives a very soft, bread-like texture and is ever-so-filling, and very very tasty. This recipe makes 3 whole 9inch pizza bases which can feed an army of children!
- 2 x 11 g sachets of dried yeast
- 2 cups warm water
- 1/2 cup rapeseed oil
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup fine cornmeal
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 cups plain flour
Simple Pizza Sauce
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 2 x 14 oz can plum tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- Dissolve yeast over warm water in mixing bowl. Leave it to rest for 2 minutes.
- Add oil, cornmeal, salt and 2 cups of flour. Mix well.
- Knead the dough for 4-5 minutes using a dough hook until the texture is smooth.
- Cover the dough with a clean kitchen towel and place it in a warm place for one hour or until it doubles in size.
- Punch the dough once and put aside, again for an additional 40 minutes.
- Divide into 3 equal pieces and shape each one into a ball. Flatten and roll into a pizza base.
Pizza Sauce Method
- Add garlic. Pour tomatoes and break them into small chunks with your wooden spoon.
- Simmer for 30 minutes or until the liquid has evaporated and thickened. Add salt, oregano and pepper.