Scones are so lovely as they are tender, flaky and crumbles in your mouth. It's wonderful when eaten with pure salted butter, homemade strawberry preserve & clotted cream. The secret to perfect Scones is not to handle it too much. The less you handle it, the lighter it tastes.
- 2 cups self-raising flour, sift
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 5 heaped tablespoon butter, but into small pieces
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to very hot 22 deg C.
- Put flour, sugar & salt in a large bowl.
- Add cold butter & rub in lightly using fingertips.
- Combine milk & water. Make a well in the centre of the flour. Pour all the liquid at once.
- Mix quickly to a soft dough.
- Turn into a floured (using self-raising flour). Knead lightly. Press into 1 inch thickness.
- Cut using a round floured cutter. Place on a greased tray.
- Glaze with milk.
- Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack. I love to eat it while hot with butter, jam & cream. Delicious!