Being a true blue Johorean at heart & in taste buds, whenever I choose to cook noodles at home, I almost always cook either Laksa Johore, Mee Rebus or Mee Kari. The home-made version, are not so easily available outside. And even if they are, it rarely tastes like the ones we make at home. However, when I eat out, I love the lighter version restaurant-style Curry Laksa. This recipe is the Curry Laksa commonly served when we eat at restaurants or hawkers.
- 15 bulbs shallots
- 4 garlic
- 4 lemon grass
- 2-inch galangal
- 3 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tsp chilli powder
Ingredients for Assembling Laksa
- 2 packets of vermicelli (soaked and parboil) or yellow noodles (blanched)
- 3 handful of bean sprouts (blanched if desired)
- 2 red chillies, sliced slanted
- 1 stalk cilantro
- 5 limes, halved
Laksa Gravy Ingredients
- ½ cup oil
- 1/2 tsp shrimp paste, roasted
- 1/2 kg cooked prawns*
- 2 chicken breast, cooked and sliced thinly*
- 6 fried bean curds (cut into bite sizes)
- 4 cups of water
- Prawn & chicken stock from cooking the meat earlier
- 2 cups coconut milk
*keep the stock to put in the gravy & liquidize the prawn heads for sweetness
- Heat oil in a pan. Sautee' the blended ingredients & shrimp paste till it becomes fragrant.
- Add the water & stock . Let it boil gently for 15 minutes.
- Pour the coconut milk and put in the bean curds, prawns & chicken.
- Flavour with salt.
- When serving, place the noodles at the base of the bowl, top with gravy, bean sprouts, sliced red chillies, lime and cilantro.
- 3 tbsp ground chilli
- 3 minced garlic
- 1/3 cup of oil
Cook these 3 ingredients for 5 minutes or so till red chilli oil appears.