Daging Salai Gulai Lemak Cili Api
My father-in-law was proud of his kampung, Rembau. He loves Lemak Cili Api & he loves beef. Over the years of my marriage, I have made an effort to learn the Negori dishes and my kids have developed the love of it - especially Daging Salai Lemak Cili Api.
Blend for Gulai
- 2 inches fresh turmeric
- 25 birds eye chillies
- 4 shallots
- 2 cloves of garlic
Other Gulai Ingredients
- 2 lemongrass, bruised
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 2 cup water
- 4 potatoes
- 2 aubergine, halved (optional)
- 6 belimbing buluh (optional)
- 2 ts salt
Smoked Beef (Daging Salai)
- 1 kg beef, slit
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- Banana Leaves
Smoked Beef (Daging Salai) Method
- Smother the beef with the turmeric & salt.
- Let it rest for about 1 hour, covered in a refrigerator.
- Bake it in a preheated 180ºC oven, on banana leaves for about 45 minutes to an hour. Personally, the beef tastes better if smoked on an open fire.
- Set aside and allow to rest for about 10 minutes.
- Slice into strips.
Gulai Cili Api Method
- Put all blended ingredients, beef, lemongrass, tamarind skin and water in a pot. Allow to boil.
- Put in the potatoes & aubergine. Reduce the flame.
- Pour in the coconut milk.
- Cook until potatoes & aubergine is done.
- When serving, sprinkle with birds-eye chillies & belimbing buluh.