Moist Mocha Cake
I was in a dilemma about what to cook for my cousin's kenduri, but I eventually decided that it would be nice to have a Coffee Cake to go with the teh tarik they might serve there. At the last minute, I couldn't resist throwing in some cocoa powder in the batter to make it a Mocha Cake instead! Aah, my weakness!
Dilute & Mix
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 2 tbsp instant coffee
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- Cream the butter & sugar till white and fluffy.
- Put in the eggs, one at a time.
- Fold in the flour, alternately with the cocoa & coffee mixture. Beginning and ending with flour.
- Pour into a 12" greased cake tin. Put in a preheated 180º C oven for about 1 hour 25 minutes.
- Allow to cook on a wire rack.
- When cool, spread the icing over the cake. Decorate as desired.
Mocha Fudge Icing
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp instant coffee powder
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- Melt the butter, milk, coffee powder & cocoa powder in a pan.
- Remove from flame & allow to cool.
- Add the icing sugar & beat till smooth & shiny.
- Spread over cake.