Rendang Ayam Basah
There are so many recipes for Rendang, and all of them are beautiful in its own way, but this recipe is so simple and quick to make, you’ll have no problems cooking it, even at the last minute! I also love it because it's not too rich and not too overpowering with flavours - just light & beautiful! Lucky my sister shared this recipe with me!
- 1 handful dried chillies, deseed & soak in hot water
- 3 bulbs large red onions
- 2-inch ginger
- 10 cloves garlic
- 5 stalks lemongrass
- 3-inch galangal
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 1 whole (2.5kg)chicken, cut into 16 pieces
- 1 heap tbsp tamarind paste, mixed with 2 cups of water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp kerisik
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 2 leaves turmeric leaves, sliced finely vertically
- Heat cooking oil in a large heavy wok. Sautee’ the blended ingredients till a beautiful aroma wafts around your kitchen.
- Put the chicken in. Let the ingredients coat around the chicken, sealing in the flavour.
- Pour in the tamarind juice, sugar & salt.
- When the gravy thickens a little, add the kerisik & coconut milk.
- Continue cooking on low fire till gravy thickens, stirring regularly.
- Finally, sprinkle with the turmeric leaves. Toss the chicken around, and it’s ready for consumption!