Sambal Tumis Telur Puyuh
Sambal Tumis is the most versatile dish I know. You can cook it with quail eggs, ikan bilis, chicken eggs, squid, prawns, chicken, beef or anything actually. You add lemongrass & galangal and it's suddenly called Terutup! Remove the sugar, and it's Asam Pedas! A truly magical dish using very few ingredients. You can have it with white rice, Nasi Lemak, dip bread or cream crackers in it - everything goes with the Sambal Tumis!
- 20 quail eggs, boiled & briefly deep-fried
- 1 cup chilli paste
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste, mixed with 1/2 c water
- 1 tsp shrimp paste, roasted
- ¼ cup oil
- 3 tbsp palm sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 8 shallots
- 4 cloves of garlic
- Heat oil in a pot. Sautee' blended ingredients until fragrant.
- Put in the shrimp paste & chilli paste until the oil separates from the ingredients.
- Pour in the tamarind juice, salt & palm sugar. Stir well until it boils gently.
- Put in the sliced onions & quail eggs.
- Cook until the onions are slightly limp.