Min's MoHinGa (Min Sway Tin's Burmese Catfish Broth)
Din's college friend whom he has not met for 30 years, came from the United States and stayed with us over the weekend. I was thrilled to bits when he took over my kitchen and taught me how to make the perfect MoHinGha. You are amazing Min! Your MoHinGa is also amazing! Thank you!
- 5 slices of Catfish
- 3 lemongrass, bruised
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 inch of ginger
- 2 red chillies
- 2 bird's eye chillies
- 5 boiled eggs, halved
- 8 shallots, sliced thinly & washed
- 6 garlic, chopped, fried in 2 tbsp of hot oil and 1 tsp turmeric powder till golden brown & crunchy
- 1 bowl of crushed crunchy rice flour crispies (penderam/tempeyek)
- 1 lemon, cut into 6 wedges
- 2 stalks of coriander roots, sliced thinly
- 8 sliced bird's eye chillies, sliced & soaked in 4 tbsp fish sauce
1 pack of Japanese rice flat noodles*
1/4 cup oil
2 large onions, chopped
1 1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp paprika
5 tbsp fish sauce
1 tsp of fish paste
1 tsp black pepper
2 tsp rice flour diluted in 2 tbsp water
*boiled according to package instructions or for about 8 minutes with 1 tsp oil & 2 tsp salt
- Boil about 6 cups of water in a pot.
- Put the catfish slices into the boiling water.
- Put in the lemongrass.
- Boil the catfish & lemongrass for about 15 - 20 minutes
- Remove the fish from the broth. Allow it to cool.
- Debone the fish. Put the fish aside to be cooked later.
- Put the bones back into the broth.
- Allow the broth to continue roll boiling on low heat until ready for use.
- When ready for use, drain and retain the broth.
- Throw the bones & lemongrass away.
MoHinGa Gravy Method
- Heat oil in a heavy-based pot. Sautee' the pounded ingredients.
- Throw in the chopped onions. Sautee' further.
- Put in the turmeric.
- Add the deboned fish. Chop the fish up while it is cooking in the pot.
- Add the paprika.
- Pour in the reserved strained fish broth.
- Add the fish broth.
- Put in the shrimp paste.
- Add the black pepper.
- Thicken the fish broth with the rice flour mixture.
- Put the noodle in a bowl.
- Pour the thick catfish broth over the noodle.
- Sprinkle with the shallots, fried chopped garlic, crunchy rice flour crispies and coriander roots.
- Put in boiled egg in the bowl.
- Squeeze with some lemon juice.
- Extra amazing when eaten with bird eye's chillies in fish sauce.