Mummy's Perfect Kuey Teow Mushroom Soup
Months ago, I mentioned to mum how much a friend loved her Mushroom Soup. The morning this friend planned to come by for Raya, I went to the kitchen to begin cooking for my guests at 7 am in the morning, to be greeted by a huge pot of Mushroom Soup - already cooked by my mother. Mums will always be Mums. They come with a huge beautiful heart.
- 3 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 6 cups of vegetable stock (preferably home-made)
- 6 garlic, chopped
- 2 inches of ginger, chopped
- 1/2 cup each of 6 different varieties of mushrooms*
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 10 fishball (optional)
- 2 fishcake, sliced (optional)
- 2 tsp crushed black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
*choose from either shiitake mushroon, button mushroom, oyster mushroom, enoki mushrooms, porcini mushroom, snow fungus, chinese black mushroom, straw mushroom, wood ear fungi
- Heat oil in a large pot.
- Sautee the ginger & garlic briefly.
- Pour in the stock & allow to boil on low fire.
- As the stock begins to boil, put in all the different varieties of mushrooms.
- Flavour with salt & pepper.
- Put in the fishball & fishcake.
- Turn off the heat & put in the cherry tomatoes.
- Can be served with kuey teow, mee hoon or yellow noodles.